Custom WordPress development
Custom WordPress development by an experienced UK-based freelancer. Get your project off the ground today!
Is your site lacking something you want it to do for you? Need to get your grand idea off the ground? Or have an API that you want WordPress users to interact with but no idea how? I’m an experienced WordPress developer with over 10 years commercial experience. I’ve co-organised and spoken at a number of WordPress conferences about development and marketing (view my WordCamp talks here). My code has been included within 2 WordPress releases and I have written a number of WordPress plugins that have been installed on over 10,000 sites.
Here is some past work I’ve done. if you have an idea that isn’t below, let’s talk! I am always interested in a challenge!
- Custom WordPress site builds – Do you love the interface of WordPress but it doesn’t quite do what you wish it to do? I’ve built in the past diverse projects such as holiday booking engines, business directories, quiz and e-learning platforms and advertising platforms. My WordPress builds are secure and built with speed in mind.
- Full WordPress site builds – Need something more traditional? I can deliver a full WordPress site or WooCommerce powered shop for you. I can build custom WordPress themes from scratch, as well as any supporting plugins. My sites are built to be mobile friendly (I operate a mobile-first development practice) and with accessibility in mind. Need design, content, or ongoing marketing support? I have a network of freelancers that I’ve worked with that I recommend.
- WordPress child theme development – if you see a theme that you like but it doesn’t quite do what you want it do, I can build you a child theme. Child themes will allow you to make updates to your site, but also maintain the security of allowing you to update the base theme. This provides a cost effective solution to WordPress builds.
- Custom WordPress plugin development – If you need functionality for an already existing site, or testing a new technology that doesn’t have a solution already, I can build a custom WordPress plugin right for you and your business. Do you need the plugin to be sold or included in the WordPress community repository? I can build the plugin to WordPress standards allowing you to distribute it, and also provide ongoing support.
- API Development – If you have a network of sites that you want to talk with each other, I’ve extended the WordPress REST API to help you interact with websites and web apps further.
Plugins I have developed with
With over 10 years experience working in WordPress, I’ve a selection of plugins I use for various functions and to reduce costs and development time. I have experience of extending all of these plugins and many more, but here are some that I’ve worked with in the past regularly. I can often work out if I can extend a plugin easily within a 30 minute call – let’s talk.
WooCommerce is the world’s most popular open source e-commerce solution with over 5 million active installations.
In the past I’ve extended checkouts, included custom delivery instructions, as well as built stock taking systems for complex products.
Yoast SEO is WordPress’ premier SEO tool, and since 2008 has helped people rank higher within search engines.
In the past I’ve extended Yoast SEO to include custom fields within titles and description, and built systems that use artificial intelligence to write meta descriptions, saving the client time
Gravity Forms is the best form building WordPress plugin available. It combines ease of use and extensibility to allow you to do things from capture leads to full booking systems.
I’ve extended Gravity Forms in the past to build e-learning solutions, business valuation tools as well as simple payment and donation systems.
Easy Digital Downloads
Easy Digital Downloads – usually shortened to EDD – is a WordPress plugin that is specifically designed to handle and manage the selling of digital products.
I’ve extended EDD in the past by implementing EU VAT solutions within EDD.
Restrict Content Pro
Restrict Content Pro – usually shortened to RCP – is a plugin that can help build a gated community, either for free or paid users.
I have built a site within RCP that is used by over 1,000 active members.
White label development
Whether as an experienced WordPress developer to sit in with your project, or an ongoing support for your clients, I also offer white label WordPress development. I can be flexible and fit around your needs. I’ve worked with many marketing or development agencies in the past 4 years and as such possess a unique skillset as a developer who has SEO’s best practices in mind at all times. Check out my freelance WordPress agency support page.
Custom WordPress development testimonials
Here are a number of testimonials from people I’ve worked with over the years. Many of these are either business owners or contacts, or alternatively agency owners that I did white label development for:-
Rhys is a brilliant Back End Dev with more skills in his little finger than almost all other Devs I have ever met. He’s also commercially aware to the point that his work will help generate the needed returns as well as being future proofed.
We’ve worked with Rhys multiple times on 2x website rebuilds. Every time he’s been fantastic to work with – fast, conscientious, and accurate.
Rhys is an absolute dream. I can’t recommend him more highly – he went out of his way to make our project work, he was always quick to respond and always thought creatively around any problems that came up. If ever I’m doing any more work on WordPress he will be first to mind.
If you want a free, 30 minute no obligation call then you can book a call through Calendly. Alternatively you can fill out the form below and I’ll get back to you, usually within one business day.
"*" indicates required fields